Tina comes to our practice with over 20 years of experience as a licensed aesthetician and over 15 years of experience working as an aestheticism in a medical setting. [Read more…]
Help us welcome our new aesthetician, Sara! This year she did makeup for the Miss America Up Close and Personal Interviews, the top 15 were aired on ABC. Sara actually did the makeup for Miss Georgia’s interview and she ended up taking the crown!
KANSAS CITY – Rosacea affects more than 14 million people in the United States. Famous people who battle rosacea include Mariah Carey, Bill Clinton and Rosie O’Donnell. This chronic skin rash primarily affects the face and eyes, striking men and women in their middle or senior years. Rosacea is more common in menopausal women and those who are fair skinned, although men are more likely to have its severest form.
Photo Credit: Obagi Medical – Face the Facts About Rosecea
While there is a lot of research under way, scientists do not know the cause of this acne-like ailment. However, the medical community is learning more every day. Premier Plastic Surgery of Kansas City (PPSKC) offers the following rosacea primer.
Types of Rosacea
- Pre-rosacea: easy or permanent flushing (erythema) of neck and facial skin.
- Vascular rosacea: warm swollen facial skin caused by engorged blood vessels.
- Inflammatory rosacea: pimples, pronounced blood vessels, thick facial skin.
- Rhinophyma: enlarged oil glands, thickened skin, inflamed blood vessels and swelling, resulting in a gradually worsening, red-purplish bulbous nose.
- Ocular rosacea: reddened eyes, tearing, burning, and gritty feeling. Eyelids may become severely irritated, as well.
Each rosacea sufferer has triggers that worsen the condition. Treatment depends on subtypes and severity. It helps to track triggers and to avoid them when possible. Medical intervention from a family practice doctor, a dermatologist or a cosmetic plastic surgeon will help minimize the severity of rosacea. Some degree of trial and error is involved as each case is unique. Treatment options may include:
- Making diet modifications, such as avoiding caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods which trigger dilation of blood vessels in the skin
- Avoiding stress, weather extremes, irritating products
- Using high-quality UVA and UVB sunscreen
- Applying topical cortisone cream
- Taking topical and oral antibiotics
- Getting glycolic acid peels
- Undergoing laser therapy
- Trying dermabrasion
If rosacea is getting the best of you, call the PPSKS team. We have highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and skin care estheticians who would be happy to help you find the best way to improve your condition and cosmetic appearance. Call (913) 782-0707 to set up an appointment today.
KANSAS CITY – Today’s consumer is web-savvy and the master of comparison shopping. Who doesn’t want bang for her buck? Premier Plastic Surgery of Kansas City understands that and does its best to offer price advantages to its loyal clients and periodic deals on beauty products and beauty-enhancing procedures.
This month, PPSKC is offering free consultation and a 26% discount on four sessions of SkinTyte laser therapy, a fast and effective treatment designed to firm aging skin and activate collagen growth. SkinTyte uses infrared heat waves to prompt soft tissue changes that result in a more youthful, rested appearance.
When exposed to infrared energy, the body responds by firing up its natural ability to heal microscopic cell damage, laying down a new foundation of collagen, the structural material that supports facial skin and gives it its elasticity. The treatment is gentle, so patients can resume normal activity immediately following treatment.
By purchasing three treatments for the neck and lower face, clients earn the fourth SkinTyte session free – in addition to receiving complementary makeup application following the final appointment. That means clients will receive a $1835 spa treatment for only $1350! That’s a BIG DEAL – in both senses.
PPSKC offers other deals, too, although they may not be paired with the SkinTyte money-saving deal:
- 20% off SkinMedica
- Buy 5 ML of Latisse, get 3 ML free
- Brilliant Distinctions Botox points
- Brilliant Distinctions Juvaderm points
Call (913) 782-0707 for more details and to book your appointment for SkinTyte-BA. The offer is valid until June 30.
Many of the people coming through our doors at Premier Plastic Surgery of Kansas City are looking for help with facial wrinkles. Most first-timers aren’t looking for a full face lift – just something to help them look more refreshed, less worried and less sun damaged.
Laser treatment, dermal peels and fillers are among the noninvasive skin treatments available at our office. The top dog, however, is Botox. National use of Botulinum Toxin Type A soared 24% in 2012, according to figures released by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Why? Well, simply put, it’s extremely effective.
Before jumping into treatment, we do a thorough assessment of our patients’ medical histories, lifestyles and their expectations. We ask lots of questions. Did you just have a baby? Are you getting enough sleep? Do you smoke? Do you drink enough water and use sunscreen? Are you under a lot of stress? What are your nutritional habits? These are important questions. While age and genetics may be key components to aging skin, these other factors may contribute to wrinkle formation and may affect treatment outcome.
Rejuvenation of brow furrows, lip lines, or crow’s feet around the eyes may be as simple as a round of Botox or some conservative use of skin fillers to smooth out unwanted lines. In fact our Skin Care Center is offering a 20% savings on Botox, Juvéderm and Radiesse treatments this month. (Aug. 2013) Other rejuvenating products include Latisse and SkinMedica with special discounts reserved for our office’s Brilliant Distinctions members.
You may find the article “Why Some People Age More Than Others and How You Can Minimize It” helpful. It offers a seven-step skin-care guide to fight premature aging. Of course, some patients are looking for more involved help – including eyelid surgery, brow lifts or implants – and I would be happy to consult with you about these procedures. Simply call the office of Dr. John B. Moore at (913) 782-0707 to set up a consultation. Our hours are 9 a.m. -5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Premier Plastic Surgery of Kansas City is located in Suite 370 in the No. 1 Doctors Building at 20375 West 151st St., Olathe, KS, 66061.
Melasma is a very frustrating condition, and occurs mostly in women. It most often occurs during pregnancy, when taking birth control pills or during menopause. A woman may find patchy brown, tan or blue-gray facial skin discoloration. Fortunately, if melasma occurs during pregnancy, it often disappears over time. A woman’s facial appearance can return to her normal skin tone a few weeks after delivery.
Often referred to as “pregnancy mask” some women continue to have these patches until they stop breastfeeding. For others it can continue well past delivery and even breastfeeding – not an ideal situation. For this small percentage of women it can become a recurring condition. Advancements in skin care technology happen continually, so here’s what we know about melasma and how Premier Skin Care Center can help:
- The exact cause of melasma is still relatively unknown. Skin experts suggest that ultraviolet light, hormones and genetics can all be factors to this skin condition. It’s suggested that melasma occurs among women with light to dark brown skin that live in regions with higher than normal sun exposure. A common treatment is the use of sunscreen with an SPF of 30. Woman, (and yes men can get it too) should be using sunscreen daily, and reapplying as needed.
- Experts believe that melasma is caused by an overstimulation of melanocytes or pigment-producing cells, and that it mostly appears on the cheeks, chin, forehead, and the upper lip, but it can also appear on the forearms and back.
- Melasma can be stubborn to treat. Sometimes, it takes months for some patients to see an improvement, which is why it’s important to follow your dermatologist’s direction and advice to the letter. Even after the skin is clear, patients may have to continue form of treatment to the skin to make sure it doesn’t return.
- Thankfully there are no symptoms other than skin discoloration. But sometimes it can be so obtrusive that people find it interferes with their self-esteem and self-confidence, while others simply want an even skin tone for a flawless finish to their look.
- Besides using sunscreen, which is more of a preventive measure than a cure, another effective treatment is hydroquinone. Other skin-lightening treatments include tretinoin, kojic acid and azelaic acid. Chemical peels and in some severe cases, laser treatments are an option.
- Obagi®Condition & Enhance Systems is often used by Premier Skin Care Center for the treatment of melasma regardless of its cause. This unique combination of transformative properties including Vitamin C, hydroquinone, alpha hydroxy, tretinoin, and sunscreen can restore your skin to its former glow and repair sun damage at the skin’s cellular level.
At Premier Skin Care Center of Kansas City, we can help with all your skin care needs for measurable results that reveal healthier and softer skin. Our exclusive use of the Obagi Skin Care system can reverse the aging process. Watch fine lines diminish, age spots disappear and wrinkles flatten away to reveal a new you. Because it prescription strength, you‘ll no longer need to throw your money away on over-the-counter products that provide minimal results. Just give Premier Skin Care Center of Kansas City to book your appointment, and will give you the anti-aging secret that woman all over the world know. Obagi Skin Care System really works wonders!
As the weather gets warmer our thoughts turn to vacations and outdoor activities. From outdoor concerts to sailing to camping, what we often forget or don’t do during the winter months, can lead to havoc for our much-pampered skin. Make sure your protected from ultraviolet rays this season by following these tips before your bask in the warmth of the summer sun.
- Amp up the sunscreen. During the winter months many women rely on the SPF found in their moisturizers or makeup to protect them from UVA and UVB rays. But for greater protection during the summer its best to use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater. Read the label closely and look for ingredients such as Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mexoryl, Anthelios or Helioplex. A good rule of thumb to remember when it comes to sunscreen application is to apply a nickel-amount to the face and a shot glass full to the rest of your body. Be sure to apply every two hours while out in the sun, or more often, if you happen to be swimming.
- Avoid procedures that run the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. While most post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can be caused by skin conditions like acne and eczema, or certain medications, cosmetic procedures can also put patients at risk for it as well. Some cosmetic procedures that can cause this side effect include deep chemical peels, sclerotherapy, (commonly known as the removal of spider veins) and electrolysis. So it’s best to avoid treatments that go beyond the upper layer of the epidermis, until the cooler months when you have a reduced risk of overexposure to the sun.
- Opt for superficial peels. Superficial peels are your best bet to retain that beautiful skin you’ve worked hard to maintain all winter. You’ll still get the benefits of a peel, which help with exfoliation and unclogging pores, without the risk of hyperpigmentation or sensitivity to the sun that can be caused by a deep chemical peel that goes beyond the surface of the skin.
- Do a mole check. It probably doesn’t need to be said. But it’s so important to check for moles or discoloration all over your body. By keeping a close lookout for mole changes, you can be your own best defense against melanoma, a very serious skin cancer. To learn more about ordinary or atypical skin moles, check out the Melanoma Education Foundation‘s website at skincheck.org. Of course, the best treatment for melanoma is always early detection. If you have any questions or concerns, please call our Skin Care Center.
- Keep up with fine lines and wrinkles. The sun is unusually fierce during the summer months causing you to squint or frown more often. So don’t let your injection or Botox run its course. If it’s been four months, now would be a great time to check in with us.
At Premier Skin Care Center, we here to help you have great skin all year round. We know how busy the summer can be with vacation plans, work, kids and lots of outdoor activities. By keeping tabs on your skin’s condition throughout the year, premature aging doesn’t have to be in your future any time soon.
At this time of year, I often get a lot of questions about sunscreen. I believe that there’s a lot of confusion as to what qualifies a sunscreen as the “right” sunscreen and when and how it should be applied. To complicate matters the Internet is filled with differing opinions as to how healthy sunscreen is overall. To alleviate a bit of this confusion, I’ve come up with a list of common questions I receive and take a little time to dispel some of the more common misunderstandings about sunscreen and its use.
I use make-up with an SPF in it, am I protected?
This question I get a lot. While it’s great to buy and use make-up with added SPF, it shouldn’t be the only sunscreen you use. Regardless of whether it’s sunny or cloudy outside, or you spend most of your day inside, you need protections from a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF 30. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect against UVA and UVB rays. According to the FDA guidelines, the appropriate sunscreen should have the following:
- Products that pass the stringent FDA guidelines will be labeled “broad spectrum” followed by an SPF number. To receive this label, the product must pass a test to prove they protect against both UVA and UVB rays.
- No product can claim to offer around-the-clock protection. Sunscreens must have a warning that urges users to reapply every 2 hours or after swimming.
- Sunscreens can no longer use terms like ‘sweat proof’ ‘water proof’ and ‘sun block.’ Products that pass this waterproof “test” must be labeled ‘water-resistant’ up to 40 to 80 minutes.
- Products with an SPF lower than 14 or that are not broad-spectrum must carry a warning that reads ‘this product has been shown only to help prevent sunburn not skin cancer or early skin aging.’
It’s okay that I don’t use sunscreen on cold, cloudy days or on days when I’m inside all day, right?
Not exactly. You’re just not as protected as you should be. Forty percent of the sun’s ultraviolet radiation reaches the earth on a completely cloudy day. A friend of mine got his most serious sunburn on a cloudy day at the beach. If you plan on being outdoors, even when it’s cloudy you should be using sunscreen. If you should accidentally forget the sunscreen, cover up with clothing. T-shirts and long-sleeve shirts, at the very least, will provide an SPF protection of at least 7 or 8. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and also sunglasses with UV-blocking properties.
Research has proven that skin exposed to sun shining through window glass, even in the office, or through the driver’s side or the passenger’s side of a car can lead to significant skin damage over time. Car windshields are specifically treated to block UVA and UVB rays, and even glass blocks UVB rays effectively, but not UVA. The side and rear windows of a vehicle, and even office windows, allow UVA rays to penetrate. This is why it’s so important to be sure your sunscreen is labeled broad-spectrum to protect you from both UVA and UVB rays.
Can wearing sunscreen cause Vitamin D deficiency?
Even with sunscreen on, you’ll still receive enough of this nutrient from the sun. While it can be more difficult for our bodies to make Vitamin D as we age, or receive it during the winter months, you can receive the benefits of this nutrient through a supplement or fortified foods, like salmon, eggs, enriched milk and orange juice. According to the Institute of Medicine, adults need 600 IUs of Vitamin D a day. Check with your health professional before taking a supplement.
Is last year’s bottle of sunscreen safe to use?
While most sunscreens have a shelf life of two years, I tell my patients if you have sunscreen left over from last year, than you’re not using correctly. For full protection, you need to apply 1 ounce or a shot-glass worth of sunscreen. Don’t forget the tips of your ears, the back of the neck and hands, and if you’re wearing sandals the tops of your feet.
A Higher SPF means the sunscreen protection is better, right?
It would stand to reason that if you have a sun protection factor of 60 it would be twice as effective at protecting you than an SPF of 30, but it’s not really how it works. It’s actually just a few more percentage points more effective. Here’s the breakdown. An SPF of 15 actually filters 93 percent of the sun’s rays and an SPF of 30 filters 97 percent. For another way to look at the numbers, let’s say for example, it takes 20 minutes for your unprotected skin to start turning red. With an SPF 15 sunscreen, it should prevent your skin from turning red 15 times longer – or about five hours.
But what’s most important to remember about sun protection is that no sunscreen, regardless of the SPF factor, will fully protect your skin for longer than two hours. While the “redness” of our skin, or the lack of it, may be an indication of how well our sunscreen is working, it tells us very little about UVA damage. UVA damage is what causes wrinkles, sun spots and skin cancer. In the long run, reapplication of sunscreen, whether its SPF 30 or SPF 50, is the best defense against skin cancer and damaging rays year round.
If your wedding or other special event is 3 months, 6 months or even a year or more away it is never too early to think about effective skin care approaches that will make your skin its healthiest and most radiant. You have planned your reunion weekend or wedding day down to the last detail. Now it is time to pay attention to one of the most important aspects of your overall appearance – your skin! Whether you are attending a reunion or are the bride, groom, or parents of the bride and groom, you want your skin to have a refreshed, healthy, blemish-free radiance for those special event or wedding day photos.
Premier Skin Care Center is pleased to offer a complimentary skin care consultation and detailed skin analysis for the bride, groom, parents, or any other member of the bridal party or for clients planning to attend a special family or school reunion. Our licensed medical esthetician, working closely with our board certified plastic surgeons, can help customize a skin care regimen that will address any specific skin concerns you may have, well in advance of that important day.
Everyone, even those with good skin, can benefit from one of our facial peels, which will refresh and gently exfoliate your skin. Even grooms! If periodic acne outbreaks are a problem we have acneic peels, skin care products, and BBL blue light acne treatments, which can clear these outbreaks up before your special day. And if brown or red sun damage spots are bothering you, we have advanced BBL photo-rejuvenation treatments that are extremely effective.
If you are wearing a dress that reveals your back or décolletage, it is important not to overlook your skin health in these areas as well. Our skin care products and services are effective at improving the appearance of skin anywhere on your body; face, arms, hands, back, décolletage or legs.
We provide the latest in facial peels, BBL treatments for hair removal, acne, and brown/red aging spots, and laser rejuvenation for fine lines and wrinkles. In addition, we carry only scientifically proven anti-aging and preventive skin care lines, including Obagi Skin Care Line.
We invite you to call one today at 913.782.0707 to schedule a complimentary skin care consultation with our licensed esthetician to learn more about specific treatments to address various skin care issues. If you are also considering a cosmetic procedure, our Cosmetic Consultants can coordinate appointments with our cosmetic surgeons on the same day as a skin care consult for your convenience.
Premier Skin Care Center is pleased to offer you the following time-line that may assist you as you prepare to get your skin picture perfect!
|Skin Care Services||Result||When to Schedule Service|
|Microdermabrasion||Exfoliates and removes dead skin for a radiant, smooth, glowing complexion||7 to 10 days before the event|
|Chemical Peels: We offer a number of peels depending on our client’s individual skin care needs and goals, and the degree of exfoliation that is desired||Weekend Peel: for uneven skin tones and rough texture, perfect for that event day glow||2 – 4 days before the event
Varies depending on degree of exfoliation.
|Anti aging Peels: helps turn
back the hands of time, effective for treatment of uneven skin tones, rough texture, & brown, age spots (hyperpigmentation)
and fine lines and wrinkles
|Minipeel: Series of 4-6 peels spaced 2-3 weeks apart|
|Acneic Peels: for acne breakouts||Melange Peels: 2 peels spaced 6 months apart Typically done in a series of 3|
|BBL Blue Light Acne Treatments||For active acne, helps aids in killing the bacteria in the skin responsible for the acne||Typically given as a series of 3 – 5 treatments, performed one week apart|
|BBL Photorejuvenation Treatments||Excellent for treating aging and sun damaged skin including brown age spots, red spots, broken capillaries & rosacea||Series of 3 – 4 treatments, scheduled 3 weeks apart|
|BBL Skin Tyte Treatments||BBL skin tightening and firming technology with no downtime & can be used on saggy skin areas such as face, hands and tummy||Series of 2 – 3 treatments, scheduled a month apart|
|BBL Hair Removal Treatments||Removes all unwanted hair for care-free, hair free skin. Get your skin ready for the honeymoon!||Series of 6 – 8 treatments, scheduled 4 to 6 weeks apart|
|Microlaser Peel (MLP)||Sciton laser treatment for fine lines, wrinkles, sun damage for an overall radiant appearance||1 to 2 weeks before the wedding|
|Sciton Profractional Laser Treatment||Typically done in conjunction with MLP for more dramatic anti-aging effects||Series of 1-3 treatments, scheduled 4 weeks apart|
BOTOX Brilliant Distinction Program
Premier Plastic Surgery and Skin Care Center is pleased to offer to our patients, through Allergan, the manufacturer of BOTOX Cosmetic, the Brilliant Distinction Program. The Brilliant Distinction Program allows you to earn points that can be used toward discounts on the following services: BOTOX Cosmetic Treatments, Juvaderm Dermal Filler Treatments or towards the purchase of Latisse or even Allergan breast implants.
Every time you receive BOTOX Cosmetic treatment at Premier Plastic Surgery and Skin Care Center, you will receive a voucher representing points that will be emailed to you that you can deposit into your account.
It is very simple to sign up for this reward program and the staff at Premier Plastic Surgery will facilitate your enrollment into the Brilliant Distinction Program to make it as easy as possible.
Call today, (913) 782-0707 to find out how you can enroll in the Brilliant Distinction Program and start earning points!